Thursday, February 25, 2010

From the Mending Crate

One of my February "things to do" was to catch up on mending. I had a milk crate full of mending...some which had languished there for a REALLY long time.

Yesterday I finished catching up!! So the jammies that I made for the girls for Christmas now have the buttonholes done (!). Anyhow, mostly it was run-of-the-mill mending, but these were the last two projects and are little refashions, so I'm sharing them with you (all supplies from my stash).
This first dress was bought on our cruise. Chick wore it to church a couple of weeks ago and two of the buttons came off, one of them lost completely. So for the new buttons I decided to use a coordinating fabric rather than white.
Before...

After...


This dress was from the thrift store (or possibly free? It's been in my "to do" pile for so long I can't even remember!). I bought it despite the very obvious & unremovable blue stains in the front, figuring that I could cover it easily enough...I totally love the fabric & sweet little style. I just never got around to it. When Chick had grown into it, I tried it on her and found that the top of the shirring gapped open in the front and back and the tags in the back rolled out to the outside.

Before...

After... (I tacked down the tags, took in a little on each side of the top of the shirring to tighten it up, and added fabric flowers in coordinating fabric. I also made an additional green flower with purple button center & sewed it onto a clippy barrette as a matching accessory). It's short, but looks DARLING on Chick with jeans underneath. I'm sure you'll see pictures of her in it one of these days.



Other projects: I have all of the fabric amassed for Chick's zig zag quilt, and I'll be cutting the pieces in the next week or so : )

Thanks for the feedback on the picture frame configuration. This morning I spent some time deciding approximately what to put in each frame, which to use matting in, etc.

Closet doors are still out in HH's truck. LOL.

Oh, and we had our first estimate on cabinet refacing last night. Well, he took the measurements, I don't have the actual estimate yet. Another company is coming to give an estimate on Monday. So exciting. Honey-colored shaker-style cabinets, here we come!!!!

5 comments:

nikko said...

What? You don't like 70s laminate cabinets with the handles in the center of the door? You're crazy!

Love the refashions. I need a girl to sew for. Sigh.

Annalia said...

Ooo. I love the coordinating buttons. They're even cuter.

Heather, Rex, etc. said...

Amazing. You are so clever!

Unknown said...

So cute. You are a woman of many talents. :)

Anonymous said...

Very cute, and I love the purple dress. The flowers are so pretty.