This was the first one I made, and I just followed the directions from this tutorial & didn't try anything fancy.
This one I thought would be fun with double needle stitching between & X-stitches around the outside. I like it, but I ended up messing up the spacing, so only 15 crayons fit into the roll & the last spot is too small for a crayon. It would also look better if the double stitching was in the same color, but I used what I had handy & I don't suppose a 3 yr old will care.
On the last one I did X-stitches in between, which I really like, and a vine around the edge (I can take it or leave it...I like the X-stitches around the other one, but was worried that it might be too much to do the dividers & the border like that.)
Anyhow, the outside of the third is made from an old stained t-shirt that I had in my refashion box. All of the other fabrics & materials were from my stash.