Well, first of all, we've had a nice week.
On Monday Babe cut her first tooth: the lower front left (when viewed from the inside of her mouth). She also is a serious cruiser now, and will "pace" back and forth the front of the couch.
On Tuesday we went to the free kids film at the theater and made it through about half of the show, so that's pretty good. I'm seeing the glass half full on that one, and I threw away the schedule for the rest of the summer movies. Maybe next year?
On Wednesday we went to visit Grandma & Grandpa N. for the day, which is always fun (though no nap for Chick did make a harried afternoon). I got to bring home a nice assortment of veggies from my sister L's garden...hmmm, all we've gotten from our garden is a couple of snap peas, am I doing it wrong?
On Thursday I plopped myself down with a book (The Actor & the Housewife by Shannon Hale) and read ALL DAY! Then Chick and I went on a fun evening hike with my sister M and her daughter. Chick did pretty well & we got to see 2 trains when we were down on the beach.
HH was home on Friday & we both got some housework & errands done & cuddled up to watch "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which was both more funny & more meaningful than I'd expected.
For the 4th we went to the church bike parade & breakfast. Mmmm, mmmm. It was delicious & I was happy to not have to make it myself. I had a friend in Italy (though she was from Ghana) and she used to say that food tastes better when you have someone to eat it with. That's totally true, but it's also true that food tastes better when you don't have to make it yourself.
After that we came home & napped & lazed around & avoided the heat. We rented "Eloise in Hollywood" for Chick, and we all enjoyed watching that (Even HH, though he might not want me to write that).
Chick got to wear a really cute dress that I won in a giveaway from Whimsical Road : ) She got lots of compliments & she loved the dress. Thanks, Whimsical Road!!
One of our neighbors (+ friends) put on a semi-professional fireworks show, so we were able to enjoy fireworks from the comfort of our own home. Of course, when it came time to go to bed it sounded like we were under seige....
Which brings us to the dramatic story of this post. Babe went to sleep earlier, but HH, Chick, and I went to bed at 10:30 (I know, she should have been in bed hours earlier, but anyhow). She was tired, but a little hyped from the fireworks, I think. Anyhow, she usually has her door closed (with a childproof thing on the inside of the doorknob so that she can't get out). The door closed is so that she doesn't come to visit us a million times before falling asleep. This time we didn't shut the door completely, though.
Around 12:20 I woke up & before falling asleep again I heard some little sounds that (paranoid me) could have been the house on fire from fireworks or something? So I got up to double check that all was well. When I got to the hall I saw that Chick's light was on, as well as the Kitchen light. What did I see when I got to the kitchen?
Chick, sitting on a chair that she'd pulled to the counter. She & the chair were completely greased with butter & brown sugar, and she was holding my weekly vitamin case...which was all but empty except for a few soggy looking pills. It had only had 3 days-worth left to begin with, but that's still a lot of vitamins for such a little body. So HH cleaned her up, while I called 1-800-222-1222 (just in case any of you need to call poison control as well). Luckily she didn't eat enough to be poisoned & was given some applesauce and put to bed. With the door firmly shut.
This morning I was fixing some breakfast & pulled a sugary, butter-slimed knife from the knife block.
"Chick, you are NOT allowed to play with KNIVES!"
"I used it to cut the butter."
OK, so seriously: overdosing, knives, & saturated fat. Chick, can you please save some of life's dangers for next week?