Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's the Little (and big) things.

First off: baby update. Still waiting. One more week. I'm still at a 2, baby was at 0 station at my last appt, and I still have a soft cervix but no real effacement.

Today I'm thinking that maybe it's a girl...I might be thinking that just because I thought of what I would want to try for a blessing dress : )

But also, a boy is problematic. We don't have a solid name for a boy. The name that we've had written on the white board in the kitchen for months now is falling out of favor with me, and I found out that HH isn't completely sold on it either. Unfortunately HH doesn't like any of the other names that I suggest. I just called and left a new suggestion on his voicemail, so we'll see what he has to say about that. A girl would be easier because I LOVE our girl name. I even love the crazy nickname that Aunt Becky would give her (Chi-chi. Crazy but cute!).

Anyhow, this morning I was toasting bagels, and bagels made me think of "Have you heard about the Morgans" which I saw the other night. If you haven't seen it, they're a NY couple who witness a murder & are put in the witness protection program. I was reminded of this one scene and it had me laughing semi-hysterically for several minutes...so I'm sharing.

They've just arrived in the little Wyoming town that they're hiding in, and they are in the car with their host. They're talking about a store there (Bargain Barn)
Meryl: I've never been to a Bargain Barn.
Host: You're kidding. (or something to that effect)
Meryl: No, I've never been to a Bargain Barn. There aren't any Bargain Barns in New York.
Host: I don't follow you.
Meryl: Well, there aren't any Bargain Barns in New York, so I've never been to one.
Host: I still don't follow you.
Meryl: (totally exasperated, and enunciating every word) THERE AREN'T ANY BARGAIN BARNS IN NEW YORK, SO I'VE NEVER BEEN TO ONE.
Meryl's Husband: There aren't any in Chicago, either, which is where we're from. (because of the new identities).
Host: Oh, you don't say.

Anyhow, I'm sure that didn't translate to funny on my blog, but just hearing Sarah Jessica Parker trying to get him to understand her as she keeps saying the exact same thing (because, really, how do you say it any more plainly?) was pretty darn funny. And anything that gives me a good laugh when we're late for preschool has got to be a good thing, right?

So that was the "little" thing.

The "big" thing is a quote that I heard in church on Mother's day. I don't want to forget it, so I'm putting it in here. The speaker told the following about Peter Buffett (son of Warren Buffet):

Though $90,000 was the only inheritance Peter Buffett received from his father for personal use, he and his siblings have received an enormous sum of money -- $1 billion -- to do charitable work. That money came as something of a surprise, and Peter was taken aback by the "awesome responsibility and opportunity."

He says he and his wife spent several years researching how to be most effective as philanthropists. Ultimately, they settled on a charitable way to "invest in undervalued assetts," which Peter Buffett admits is a "page out of my Dad's book."

"We found that young girls, adolescent girls-- in the developing world in particular--are the greatest undervalued assett we've ever seen," Buffett says. (NPR. To read more about it, here's the link)

2 comments:

S.Ann said...

In regard to the last paragraph...
that is so sad. I can remember thinking,many times, how lucky I was to be a girl. I wouldn't change my life at all and I wish that all women could feel that way. It was that way in this country in an earlier time so maybe it's a stupid growth progression that people have to learn and there are a lot of slow learners.

Unknown said...

Hang in there. I wish I could make a good boy name suggestion for you, but I got nothin. :)