About a year ago I bought this tunic at the thrift store specifically to refashion because I liked the fabric.
Chick's new tunic-y dress:
The neckband is made from a costume that was being made for a production but then wasn't used. The underlining is an old slip (that was my grandma's and then mine & the waistband was wearing out but the fabric still was wearing like armor).
My favorite part? The mismatchy fabric covered buttons.
Monkey will be getting a very similar one, but I haven't gotten to do it yet. Her's will be made from the sleeves.
When Monkey's is done I'll post pics of the girls wearing them.
Other Sewing Adventures:
The first episode of Project Runway: They had the designers take something out of their suitcases to refashion. Then the twist? They had to pass their item of clothing to the person next to them. So they had to use a random article of clothing. They had 15 minutes to sketch, and 5 hours to sew.
When I watched it I thought I'd really like to give myself the same challenge. So I had my sister randomly select something from the thrift store for me to refashion. She picked this dress:
Even though she took color into consideration for me, it was very true to the show because I would NEVER have picked that dress. The fabric isn't dye-able, and the skirt fabric isn't bleachable (the top bleaches into a pretty orangy yellow, though). But there was a LOT of fabric to work with, because the dress was huge.
Here's my sketch:
I hadn't started the dress when, during KCWC, I saw the BurdaStyle/Rowenta Project Runway Competition! I had to finish KCWC, but then this week I got started on the dress to enter the contest. But it's been a busy week, so most of the sewing took place yesterday (the last day to enter). I did exceed 5 hours, and though I have a finished product to enter (at almost the very last possible minute, because that's how I operate, unfortunately) I am doing some tweaking today to make it a better fit for me specifically. But here's my entry:
The bodice pattern is a copy of a blouse in my closet. The back is strips sewn together because I didn't have enough fabric to cut it in one piece, but I like it like that. My life is full of happy accidents (Moose). The skirt is just wide strips sewn into gathered tiers, and shirred at the waist. The satiny trim is what the crazy original puckery stippled fabric looks like when you iron it!
I went to the Relief Society General Broadcast last weekend, and we had a dinner in congunction. I loved the cupcake decor, and I got to bring home these beautiful flowers (which I'm still enjoying everytime I'm in my kitchen).
I took the kids to the Picture People at the mall for Moose's baby pics and a picture of the three all together. Monkey had to be bribed just to be IN the picture (I couldn't afford to get her to smile, though). Moose, though very smily usually, was tired and not so cooperative. I think I should get an award for attempting it by myself. Here's the link, though. I bought #3 & #10.
I was busy with slightly sick kids, my new calling, babysitting, rotating toys, etc. HH worked late every night. So no improvements for the home. But we sodded this little bit of land recently (to the left of Chick in the picture). It's been dirt and weeds for the past couple of years.
A while ago:
We got a new car. It's been a couple of weeks now. Anyhow, I really like it. It has some really great features, and best of all it seats seven : )