Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wardrobe Refashioning story


So, as you may have noticed, I took a 4 month pledge for Wardrobe Refashioning. I have several fun projects lined up.... I love the creativity on the wardrobe refashioning blog.

The official rules are:

  1. No buying new! (handmade is excepted; So this allows for Etsy purchases etc!!) All clothing must be Recycled, Renovated, Preloved or Thrifted, or Handmade only for the term. Employment related and special needs clothing (ie sports, school), shoes and undies are excepted from the rules, although you are encouraged to have a go at making these.
  2. In extreme circumstances, maybe a special event, or the worlds greatest and most amazing never to be repeated sale that you simply can not pass up, you may use the Get out of Refashionista Jail Free card. You are able to use this card once during the 2 month part of your contract; ie 1 for 2 months, 2 for 4 months etc. Of course you need to fess up on the blog and display the button!
  3. You must post on the blog at least once a week to let the community know what you've been up to. This will not only give you brag points, but inspire and encorouge others! Of course you need to display the button on your blog and have copied the pledge in at least one post, and provide a link to your pledge under the button.
  4. You need to be honest and admit when you've fallen off the Refashionista Wagon! Go directly to Refashionista Jail, do not pass GO and do not collect $200! Apply for parole once there.

  • Here's my pledge: I, Paige, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period 4 months. I pledge that I shall refashion, renovate, recycle preloved items for myself (and husband and daughters) with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovoted, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that my thriftiness brings! Signed Paige.

So anyhow, last night at enrichment there was a story shared about Belle S. Spafford, which is a good example of refashioning. I found the original article (here), and here is an excerpt:

Belle S. Spafford, outgoing president of the National Council of Women and former general president of the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wore a borrowed 55-cent dress to the formal dinner honoring her service to the organization. When her colleagues suggested the dress looked as if it cost hundreds of dollars, Spafford (Relief Society president from 1945 to 1974) baffled the others with her explanation. “This dress was made from a remnant of drapery fabric, clearance thread and a zipper. It is a grand example of creativity and making do with what you have,” she said at the time.

The resourcefulness and skills of Relief Society women worldwide are being showcased in a new exhibit at the Museum of Church History and Art:
Something Extraordinary: A Sampler of Women’s Gifts. The exhibit opened Saturday, 12 May 2007, and runs through January 2009. Spafford’s 55-cent dress is among the more than 60 items selected for the new exhibit.


Stretching resources and expanding opportunities has long been the maxim of the Relief Society, an organization for the women of the Church founded in 1842 by Joseph Smith, the Church’s first president.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That is a beautiful dress she has on! I think you will do great at this challenge because you are already so frugal and have some great sewing talents! Me on the other hand... meh. lol. Actually, a couple of weeks ago I realized that it had been 6 months to a year since I really bought any new clothing and treated myself out to a few new items. :)

Holly said...

Wow, that is an awesome pledge. Good luck! That is really neat about Belle Spaffod, a 55 cent dress? So cool!