Thursday, June 25, 2009

il nostro giorno allo zoo

On Tuesday we had a fabulous day at the zoo. We went with my sister & her family. I think it was one of the nicest zoo days I've had--partly because the weather was perfect, partly because we didn't stress about hurrying to see everything, and partly because we had the timing just right.

We saw an elephant show (which was fascinating and very informative. Did you know elephant tusks can weigh over 200 lbs each & be 11 feet long?! And elephants with huge tusks like that can't lay down to sleep because it would be too hard to get back up, so they just rest the tips of the tusks on the ground & sleep standing up?), and were there when the bears, fish, & otters were fed. We loved the new penguin exhibit, too.

And, exciting for me, there was an Italian woman there! I've been back from Italy for almost exactly 10 years now, and in that time I've come across maybe 3 Italians. So it was thrilling for me to talk to her. It was nice to be able to understand her, and to be able to talk to her (she said that I spoke very well, but it's all relative. I spoke very haltingly).

The day was great but could have been VERY disasterous for 2 reasons: 1) I forgot Babe's chupa (pacifier) and 2) Chick was in panties & I forgot a backup diaper. Thankfully Babe was happy with so many people taking turns to hold her. And Chick! With a few potty breaks, she was a happy, dry little girl all day : ) Even after we got home--dry until bedtime. Even when we were playing outside & she told me that she had to go potty & stopped playing to go inside & go potty.


No comments: