Thursday, October 30, 2008
Go to http://www.sindea.org/, and click on "your session." Login is "p.j." and the password is "bebe"
I need some help in narrowing down my selection. I'm only planning to get 3 or 4 prints, and I've decided on 41 with HH for sure, leaving 2-3 prints to decide on.
My other faves are: 17 or 28 (with my Chick), and 18, 58, 68 (just me). Please let me know!
(BTW, you'll notice that my quilt & bedroom are the setting for a lot of the pics...YAY!)
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
6 TV shows I Love to watch
1. America's Next Top Model
2. 90210...now you know our dirty secret!
3. Friday Night Smackdown...no, wait, that's on HH's list, not mine.
4. I loved Notes from the Underbelly, but it's not on anymore
5. Any show on HGTV!
6. Good Eats with Alton Brown
6 Places I Love to eat
1. Red Robin (used to be my least favorite until I figured out what I like there)
2. Olive Garden
4. Home, when HH cooks
5. Anyone else's home, when they cook
6. Changs or any other Mongolian Grill
6 Things that happened yesterday
1. Sunday breakfasts are when I get "special" foods: yesterday was poptarts...and they burned!
2. I took a nap and woke up in the nick of time for church.
3. chick and I watched HH sing in the choir : )
4. I volunteered in the nursery because it seemed short handed
5. Chick did a great job filling in most of the animal noises when we read "Moo, Baa, La la la"
6. I read the 9th month section in "The Pregnancy Book" until I couldn't keep my eyes open
6 Things I love about Fall
1. Halloween (costumes)
2. Autumn decor
3. Christmas Prep
4. Changing colors
5. Bundling up
6. Apples on the tree in the front yard : )
6 Things on my wish list (not in order of importance)
1. "These is my Words" book
2. A couple of Italian cds (Best of Laura Pausini & Best of Nek)
3. A homemade rotating composter
5. Camcorder (we have to get it soon for the birth!)
6. A healthy birth & baby
6 People I am tagging
1. - 6. You
Thursday, October 23, 2008
But really, that's all. And in the history of 1023 being my lucky number the most memorable "lucky" thing was in 1997...Provo, UT...the guy that I had a crush on asked me out on October 23rd. But actually, it wasn't really LUCKY...it was all due to my great friend NIKKO, who was his SIL and coerced him into a double date. Well, whatever works.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Last night was my pregnancy photo shoot, and it was SO FUN! It'll be a couple of weeks, maybe, until the proofs are up & I can link you to them. I loved that Sindea let me call the shots, but still had so many great ideas to help.
I'm also happy to announce that I had fun styling my hair for the photos and I officially like my haircut.
Monday, October 20, 2008
I really loved this movie, though I was weepy through pretty much the whole thing! I can't recommend it hands down, though, due to a lot of swearing & sexy stuff. It wasn't enough to make me not like it, though (Unlike Catch & Release, which had so little to redeem it that I would NEVER watch it again).
Friday, October 17, 2008
Anyhow, besides that I've been learning a lot about couponing. I use coupons--like the 40% coupons for Michaels & JoAnns, or 20% off at Bed Bath & Beyond... but I have never used manufacturers coupons or learned about "stacking" coupons. I've spent (wasted?) a ton of time reading up about it on frugality blogs, etc. I hope to report lots of money saved in the future months : )
Aside from that stuff I've been totally lazy. Chick and I both have colds, so we've been slugs. Today I'm going to get my hair cut, because I get to have prego portraits taken soon! I'm really excited about that. The session is actually in payment for Handsome Handyman putting in a window at the photographer's house--sweet of him to choose a fun photo shoot for me rather than plain ol' money! She's given me the option of doing a logo design to use for print credits, too, so I may go that route. Anyhow, I didn't do professional pictures last pregnancy, so this is a fun new thing this time around!
Oh, and lastly, I had a midwife appointment on Monday. All is great thus far--my blood pressure is down, I've gained 25 pounds total, and I've not started dilating or anything (that's good, because my parents are on a cruise and I was paranoid about early labor). I'm at 35 weeks right now (give or take a week).
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Today I came across a link to a new blog. It's a woman who made a new years resolution to use her crock pot every day for a year. Not only is it an incredibly creative new years resolution, which is inspiring all on it's own, but then I also get to be inspired by the recipes!
Of course she's not the only one. Nikko's blog shows me how to be a domestic Goddess (I'm just in training). Stacy's blog had a great idea not only to have FHE (ok, not HER great idea...I have heard that one before) but to pattern the lessons from her daughter's primary manual (I totally need to get the new nursery class manual so that I can copy the idea)! Katie's blog is interactive and thought provoking (I love that she asks questions). I could name something cool from everyone's blogs, but the Chick is running around in just underwear and I think I should attend to her....
So, I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. Handsome Handyman says that I could get just as inspired by sitting on a park bench with friends while the kids played...true enough, but what about my cool friends in other states? And crockpot lady who I don't actually know?! You just can't beat the internet sometimes.
Monday, October 13, 2008
Kim Says: When you can’t afford a safe: My grandmother took a clean dry mayonnaise jar, spray painted the inside of the jar creamy white, inside the jar she kept her “mad” money. This jar she kept in the dark back corner of her refrigerator, where no one ever saw it. The one thing she said was a must to go with this, was always have a real jar on mayo where everyone can see it! Depending on the color of paint, this could be a jelly jar, mustard jar, etc. I had a house fire in 2001, started in the kitchen, entire house was a total loss… but inside my melted frig, my mayo safe with my unburned money.
(Link to the original post)
Saturday, October 11, 2008
(For those of you who don't know who Dave Ramsey is: He's a financial guy that Handsome Handyman listens to on the radio. He's written a few books, too. I like his down-to-earth approach to finances. Today I listened to his book Total Money Makeover on cd, so I thought I'd pay homage to him just a tad. People that go through his "baby steps" often call in to his show and shout "I'm Debt Free!").
Anyhow, last weekend we had some of HH's family here for a baby blessing. Everyone left on Sunday afternoon and on Monday I started layout for my design work. It has been a busy busy work week, and the dishes that were from the blessing luncheon mated with the dishes from all the rest of this week. The laundry seems to have done likewise.
So today I got everything all caught up! It feels great. I also had fun baking--I made corn bread mix & made up a couple of loaves, and I made chocolate chip cookies and put most of the dough in the freezer (64 ounces of future junk food. Yay!). And lastly I went grocery shopping.
It feels great to have accomplished something and have a clean kitchen again. The only downside to the day is that Chick accidentally broke my 2 cup glass pyrex measuring cup. I guess you win some, you lose some.
Friday, October 10, 2008
We also have 2 lamps--one table lamp and one floor lamp. They are both great for task lighting, but alone they are not bright enough.
To the 2 lamps I would like to add a plant uplight, some recessed lights, and ...? That's where I'm at a loss.
- HH says that recessed lighting won't light evenly enough--it's just straight down.
- The plant light will add some depth and drama, but not a ton of light, and certainly not evenly.
- We had a cool wall sconce that we left at the condo (grrr) and it helped a lot...but HH might balk at having to do that much wiring stuff to add in a new wall sconce or two--we already have plenty to do, he might not want to have his list grow longer.
- It was suggested having a ceiling fan/light combo, but we plan to take out the wall pictured above and have a half-wall bar/counter there instead, and there will probably be a fan in the kitchen, and some recessed lighting or track lights or pendants where the wall is now. So anyhow, two fans that close to each other doesn't seem so great to me.
- I like the idea of an art spotlight for above the fireplace, but that also goes back to the "lots more work for HH" issue : )
So I need to know--what kind of lighting do you like in a living room? Do you have any suggestions for my dilemma?
Here are some pictures of lighting that I like (though only the center pic is the only one that is bright enough & look how many lights they have going!), if it helps you. Thanks!!
Thursday, October 9, 2008
8 things I am passionate about...
1. My chick
2. Handsome Handyman
3. Home improvements
4. Being creative
5. Shopping/ Frugality
6. My opinions
7. Childbirth, breastfeeding, childrearing
8. Baths & Hot chocolate (or cold chocolate, really)
8 words or phrases I use often
1. Oh, for pete's sake!
2. Is it time to sit on the potty?
3. I'm just so TIRED (that's just lately, though)
4. You're such a lovebug!
5. Don't grab Mama's glasses!
6. Hey, look at what I got!
7. Ok, go ask Daddy to get some for you.
8. I'm going to take a bath.
8 things I have learned from my past...
1. If I pay full price, I'll have buyers remorse
2. Throwing things out of anger will just break your favorite toys
3. People don't really change much...we just need to love them "as is"
4. I'll love it once I get there, I just need to get out the door
5. It's true--you'll feel better if you just get to work
6. You get more flies with honey (yes, I want flies)
7. I won't regret time spent reading with my Chick
8. Making lists works wonders
8 places I would love to go see or visit...
2. Puerto Rico
3. A hair salon...it's been WAY too long
4. Value Village : )
5. My bed...or the bathtub. I'd settle for either
7. Hong Kong...while we still have family to stay with there!
8. San Francisco
8 things I currently need or want...
1. A rotating compost bin
2. A new motor for the jeep window
4. House Moulding...put UP
5. A lot of time before this baby comes...the more the better
6. New doors (they're on sale at Lowes...I'm so tempted!)
7. A paid off mortgage
8. To lose weight (but actually not currently...in about 2 months)
8 people I tag...
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
I can still get my wedding ring on and off, but it sure doesn't slide on like it usually does. I'm thinking that the time has come to set it aside (temporarily, of course...I do still like my husband).
Monday, October 6, 2008
I'm SO curious what it will look like. I know the church tends to use local materials and keep reasonably close to local architecture...but of course it can't look like it's just an extension of the Vatican! At any rate, it's just more incentive to take a trip to Italy...it's been way too long.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Today Dave went and got the mail and there was a $1065 ticket for "Not yielding to an Emergency Vehicle."
So, if any of you local folks know of a good, honest, reasonable lawyer in the area that would handle this kind of thing, please let me know via email. We will definitely be contesting this.
Not the greatest weekend--especially when combined with our Jeep breaking down (leaving Dave stranded in the rain on a Friday night) and costing $1500 to fix, and all sorts of other "sand beneath the clamshell" things.
My prayer tonight might honestly be "Hope you know, I'm having a hard time." (See Elder Quentin L. Cook's talk in the Sunday Afternoon Session of General Conference).
Friday, October 3, 2008
M. decided to feed him baby food peas, which he loved and it seemed like a good idea. Then, as M. was getting ready to walk out the door, she handed Stephen to me. He had a bare bum, and we noticed that he was starting to poo. That's when I realized our mistake: by feeding him we were making it so that he'd be passing meconium when we put him back in my womb! I freaked out because I might not be able to have a home birth if there was meconium in the amniotic fluid.
As if that would be my problem, if all the rest of it were true!
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
My policy is to do a full album of the first year, but after that I'll only do a layout or two per year (as an overview, unless there's a really special occasion). That's the only way that I can think of to keep things equal among kids--everyone says that the more kids you have the less the late comers get.
Anyhow, hooray for productivity!
Handsome Handyman is crazy for black olives. The other day I gave Chick a quesodilla that had some beans, black olives, cheese, and (of course) tortilla. Do you know what she did? She opened it up and just ate the black olives!
I am crazy for baths. Yesterday Chick was sitting on my lap at the computer and she was saying "Bat". I couldn't figure out what she was saying--she was signing too, but for some reason I couldn't understand the sign (I kept thinking she was signing "coat" but she wasn't saying coat). Finally I recognized the sign and realized that she was saying Bath for the first time. So I put her in a bath, and she played happily for probably an hour.
While we're on the subject of signing, I LOVE Signing Time! It has made our life so much easier...previously mentioned confusion aside, it's nice to know what this little Chick is thinking of things. Her spoken vocabulary is growing crazy fast each day lately (Last night she was repeating "Hey Dude" with HH), but her signed vocab is at least four times larger, so she's really able to communicate effectively.